~Cookin' In The Kitchen Since 2003~

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Pork Carnitas

This is the next thing I am wanting to try!  Every time I buy a pork Roast from Walmart I buy one that says Pork Carnitas on it.  Never knew what they were, but they make an AMAZING pork roast; it comes out most and juicy every time, then I found this recipe for Pork Carnitas and realized that what I thought was a roast, actually wasn't.  So, I am going to try making it the way it was meant... and hopefully I like it.  I'll let you know how it goes!

2 pounds pork loin, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup cilantro leaves + 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 lrg. onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. orange zest
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 can {14.5 oz.} chicken broth
zest and juice of one lime
1 pkg. {7.5 oz.} soft corn tortillas
Shredded romaine lettuce, sour cream, salsa and avocado
{salsa recipe below}
.
Combine pork, garlic, 1/3 cup cilantro leaves, onion, oregano, orange zest, salt and red pepper flakes in slow cooker bowl and pour broth over the top so that the pork is mostly submerged.
.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 6 hours or until pork is very tender.
.
Remove pork from slow cooker using a slotted spoon and let cool slightly.
When cool, shred pork.
Mix together, in a large mixing bowl, with 1/4 cup cilantro, lime zest and juice and 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
.
Serve in warmed tortillas with lettuce, sour cream, salsa and avocado.
.

No comments: